When I refer to this quilt in conversations I often just say ‘the Library quilt”.
This quilt is not what you will usually find on my blog, but I fell in love. I sometimes just do, with quilts that is. It was on a Sunday morning in January that I was scrolling through photo’s from Susan Smith on Instagram (#notjuzahuswife). She was still working on the blocks so there was not a finished quilt to refer to. Susan told that the quilt she was working on would be another of her BOM quilts. It was all made with needle turn appliqué, which got me on board.
On the same Sunday, about noon, I received a newsletter from Amaryllis Lifestyle, the shop I purchased The Stonefields quilt pattern from (do you remember???😉
Coriene, the owner, announced that she was going to host The Rowdy Flat Library Quilt as a ten months BOM, starting at the end of February. It didn’t take long before I visited her website and ordered the BOM… That’s what you do when you’re in love.
The next couple of weeks I kept looking at the photo’s and started doubting my decision, but as I love challenges I started thinking about the fabrics. I had some yardage of a putty coloured Moda Bella solid that could be used as the background fabric and I have
some a lot traditional fabrics in my stash, so why not finally use them. I only had to buy a few more yards of the background fabric.
On February 23, the first pattern arrived. I looked at it, read it, reread it. The centre circles are made of toile, not my cup of tea, so a visit to my LQS was the right thing to do! I bought more background fabric and a few others for the ribbons, the flower pots and the leaves. I also bought a French General fabric for the centre circles, but it still needed something more cheerful.
When I received a birthday gift from my friend and quilt buddy (a package of beautiful fabrics from Dutch Heritage by Petra Prins) I knew those would be gorgeous for the centre circles!
I started drawing the pattern pieces onto tracing paper, cutting the circles, thirty-something petals, thirty something leaves, flower pots, flowers, ribbons and butterflies, I made bias tape for the small and larger circles and prepared the background fabric. Working on a 22″ square piece of fabric is different to what I’m used to, so I hand basted the circle and the horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines, which was very helpful in the process.
I worked on the block between all the other projects you regularly see on my blog and I’ve have finished Block 1. It looks different from the romantic original, but that’s exactly what I wanted.
Meanwhile block 2 has arrived and I’m preparing all the bits and pieces! There will be lots of bees in the block as it’s called The Beekeeper!